Sunday, July 4, 2010

Modifying the Row

After I payed a visit to my beloved friend Maggie from Ascutney, where she lives and who  had a huge and success with her Yard Sale, I visited the garden project located nearby. The day is really, really  hot. I am feeling better, my right foot is improving then I could work well.


Oh, what a nice surprise! Somebody has watered the plants!
But the tiny spot of my almost invisible camomile seedlings needed more water. Fortunately I found the water pipe without problems.

I removed the plants that I transplanted by mistake. They were moved to the Canillas Community Garden in New Hampshire, the one to belong.
- Cayenne pepper
- Lobelia



This is the transcription from Sylvia Newberry, a valuable information to me. I am in the process to learn.


On her e-mail she says:
" ... am not quite sure why you chose cayenne (Capisicum fructescens). I consider cayenne to be the opposite of relaxing. In my experience it is a very stimulating herb and is often added to herbal formulas to give herbal blends a bit of an extra "kick" as well as to stimulate circulation when that is what conditions call for. Basil (Ocimum basilicum) can also be very relaxing. And if you let the Chamomile (Matricaria recutita) blossom and go to seed, it will probably self seed and grow again without planting next spring. Lobelia is also a very powerful medicinal herb, but unfortunately the lobelia that you have planted is not the species that is used medicinally. I don't think that I have ever seen the medicinal Lobelia (Lobelia Inflata) cultivated. It is a very delicate plant that is commonly found along wooded pathways and at the edge of forests. I am sorry that I did not include the botanical names on the lists of the plants that I put together as suggested gardens. It is a good lesson for both of us to learn. When one is planting flowers to enjoy their beauty, the specific species does not usually matter - at least to most of us. However, when planting and growing and harvesting and using medicinal plants, the specific species can be critical. It is often that a common plant can have several different familiar names and it can be confusing when you are trying to figure out exactly what someone is talking about. So, when learning about medicinal plants it is always important to have someone show you the plant or find a good reference book with clear pictures and a good detailed description. And become familiar with the botanical as well as the common name. Sometimes simple black and white line drawings in guide books can create a more accurate "picture" of plant detail than a colored photograph can. I have found it very helpful to have several different guide books when I am identifying plants. As I said earlier, the Lobelia Inflata is a rather delicate plant that you probably wouldn't notice the first time you saw it, unless it was pointed out to you. A friend of mine told my that she had been told that you don't see Lobelia Inflata unless someone who knows the plant points it out. And then you will see it everywhere. Two summers ago we had numerous plants growing in the edges of our yard and into the woods. Last year I could not find a one. And so far this year I have not found them either. See if you can find a picture and some information about the plant on the internet. I don't think that we will be able to find it to cultivate. But if I find some here on our property, I will let you know and you can come and see it and I will introduce you. My expectation is that once you have been introduced you will always remember it. ..."

Finally,I wish to know what are these plants growing around my Relaxing Herbs spot
Happy 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment